List compiled and arranged by TadakatsuH0nda, Painkiller, Perdition, and Dudemanguy.
- Web Rock Magazine BEEAST
- A Japanese heavy metal and rock news outlet and magazine with
exclusive interviews and articles on hundreds of Japanese bands and
- WeROCK -
Formerly known as Rockin'f (ロッキンｆ) they're now known as WeROCK. The
premier hard rock and heavy metal magazine of Japan, they've published
monthly issues since the mid 70's including exclusive interviews with
both Japanese and Western musicians, band spotlights, biographies,
stories and many other goodies.
- JaME World - More of a focus on Japanese rock news, though still plenty of metal, daily updates on bands regarding new releases, disbandments/reformations and major news stories about J-rock bands.
- JROCK NEWS - Provides news mostly about visual kei rock artists, though they also provide plenty of news and updates on several modern J-metal acts.
- Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives - The largest heavy metal focused encyclopedia online, features detailed discographies and information on over 1700 Japanese metal bands (in addition to the rest of the world). May also be a useful resource for album reviews.
- JapaneseMetal Motion
- A major collector of Japanese rock and metal, his website offers
valuable information on hundreds of Japanese bands including
discography info of both famous and obscure bands, reviews of albums
and other Japanese metal curiosities.
- Japanese Metal Indies - Another prominent
collector offering information on several bands and releases.
- Strange Music Page - A nice resource on the
releases of 1980s Japanese progressive metal/rock bands.
Many people are already aware of this one, but Discogs is an excellent
resource for digging up info on specific albums, and features a
diverse, strong marketplace with plenty of Japanese music sellers.
- Can order from Amazon's marketplace, bid on Yahoo! auctions, and
order from many shops in Japan.
Flexible payment and shipping options, but the selection is somewhat
limited compared to Amazon and HMV. Good for new releases, though.
- HMV Japan
- Wide range of selection, frequent sales/promotions, and has pre-order
novelties. Only accepts credit cards and ships by EMS.
- Huge selection, not much for promotions. Some older CDs sporadically
have discounts though. Ships via DHL.
- Specializes in rock and metal. Has a good selection of domestic and
international titles. Accepts PayPal and has flexible delivery options.
Music - Specializes in rock and metal. Has a good selection in
domestic titles. Accepts PayPal and has flexible delivery options.
- Wild One
- Physical and online music store owned by Blaze guitarist Hisashi Suzuki. Sells Japanese
CDs and vinyl.
Friends of Japanese Metal Forum
- J-Metal Brasil
- Used to be J-metal.freevar.com, a popular download spot for
miscellaneous Japanese rock and metal. Features detailed activity
timelines and discographies of several bands. The site is in
Portuguese, but it's easy to navigate and understand with a basic
- KazueAkao.com - Website of Kazue Akao,
vocalist of the Japanese heavy metal legends Terra Rosa, now fronting
of Steel: Universal Metalhead Community (see here
for general Japanese and other Asian metal discussions) - Our parent
site, a worldwide metal community with discussions about metal more
suited to Western metal fans.